Bulgarian Easter Bread (Kozunak) Ingredients:
2 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg, beaten lightly
1 1/3 cups warmed milk
1 1/2 cups raisins
3/4 cup rum
5 lbs flour (you may not use it all)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups milk
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (vanilla powder is fine)
1 cup almonds or 1 cup hazelnuts or 1 cup walnuts, are fine too
1. Mix first five ingredients (yeast, small amount sugar, salt, one egg, warm milk) in a large bowl.
2. Cover and leave in a warm place for 40 minutes.
3. Put raisins in rum to cover, and set aside to soak.
4. Grate and juice the lemons.
5. Set aside.
6. Sift 4 of the five pounds of flour onto a large tray or other work surface.
7. (You can estimate- does not need to be precise.).
8. Melt butter and combine with oil.
9. Heat 2 cups of milk and sugar on low in a small saucepan until warm.
10. Separate 4 of the eggs; set aside the yolks for brushing.
11. Beat the whites with the other 7 eggs.
12. Add a handful of the flour from the work surface to the warm yeast mixture.
13. Bit by bit, mix in with a spoon the rest of the flour, the milk mixture, the beaten eggs and the butter/oil mixture.
14. When most of it is together, mix in the lemon juice and zest, and the vanilla.
15. Adding more flour to the work surface if necessary, dump out the dough and knead until it holds together well.
16. Let the dough rest in a warm place until double in bulk (1-2 hours).
17. You may need to divide between two bowls.
18. Punch down and knead the dough.
19. Drain the raisins and dredge in flour.
20. Work about half of them into the dough as you knead, a few at a time.
21. Let the dough sit and rise again (another 1-2 hours).
22. Preheat oven to 425 (400 if your oven runs hot).
23. Punch down and knead again.
24. Divide the dough into 8 parts.
25. Each of these, divide into three parts; roll them long and braid into a single loaf.
26. While braiding, work the remainder of the raisins between the strands.
27. Brush the loaves with the reserved egg yolk and stud the top with nuts.
28. Bake the loaves about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
29. (We usually did about 3 loaves at a time.) You can also use the dough to make smaller rolls, if you prefer; bake for proportionally less time.
Shoppe Style Cheese Ingredients:
450g/1lb Bulgarian White Cheese or Feta Cheese
2 Tomatoes, sliced
1 large Capsicum (sweet pepper), sliced
Black Pepper and Paprika to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6 and lightly butter a shallow ovenproof dish.
2. Cut the cheese into four slices and place into buttered dish. If you prefer, you can use individual earthenware bowls or ramekins.
3. Top the cheese with the tomato and pepper slices and dot with half the butter. Bake for 5 minutes only.
4. Remove from the oven and break the eggs over the top of the cheese. Dot with the remaining butter and sprinkle with pepper and paprika.
5. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until the eggs are lightly set and a crust has formed. Serve immediately.
Kavarma Recipe Ingredients:
3 tbsp Lard or Oil
675g/1 ½ lb Pork (leg or fillet), cubed
4 Leeks, thinly sliced
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 teasp Paprika
Salt and Black Pepper
120ml/4fl.oz. Dry Wine
Freshly chopped parsley to serve
1. Heat the lard or oil in a large saucepan, add the meat and brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Re-heat the fat then add the leeks and onions and sauté, stirring for 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste, paprika, salt, pepper, water, wine and the browned meat , mix well and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat to very low, cover and cook very gently for 2 hours.
Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
WINE KEBAP Ingredients:
1 lb. diced lean veal meat
2 chopped onions
1 tbsp. butter or shortening
1 bay leaf
1/3 tbsp. paprika
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 cup wine
1 cup water
¼ cup parsley
Preparation Instructions :
Fry onions until brown, add meat and stir while cooking. Add liquids and the rest of the ingredients. Cover and steam over slow fire until done. Serve with potatoes or rice.