Mango Glazed Fresh Atlantic Salmon Ingredients:
3/4 cup white wine vinegar (Coles Italian was stipulated)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon ginger (finely chopped)
1 mango (peeled pitted and cut into large chunks)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons coriander (cilanto chopped finely)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 (170 g) salmon fillets (skin removed)
salt and pepper
1. To make glaze - place vinegar and honey in a medium saucepan and over a medium heat cook until honey has dissolved and liquid has thicken slightly, about 2 minutes
2. Add ginger and mango and bring to low simmer and continue cooking another 5 to 7 minutes or until softened.
3. Remove from the heat and transfer contents to saucepan to a blender and process until a smooth puree forms and set aside to cool.
4. Once cooled, season with lime juice and soy sauce and fold in coriander (NOTE - glaze can be made 1 day in advance and extra glaze will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator).
5. Preheat grill/broiler to high and line a medium baking tray with foil.
6. In a large saute pan heat olive oil over high heat.
7. Season salmon with salt and pepper and place in pan, glesh side down and cook until golden brown about 15 seconds and flip over and sear other side for another 10 seconds.
8. Immediately transfer salmon, flesh side up, to baking tray lined with oil and coat with mange glaze.
9. Place tray under grill/broiler and cook approximately 5 minutes, or until salmon is just done and glaze starts to brown and then transfer salmon to a plate and let rest for 2 minutes.
10. To serve, transfer fish to a platter and serve with sides.
Festive Fish Fillets Ingredients:
10 -12 ounces fish fillets (2)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaf
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 lemon, juice of
1 garlic clove, minced
2 medium onions, sliced
1 large tomato, chopped (about 8 oz.)
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
2. Combine cilantro, garlic, lemon juice and 2 tbl. olive oil. Place in dish or plastic bag, and add fish fillets. Be sure fish is coated in marinade. Marinate for about 30 min., while completing rest of dish.
3. Grease baking dish with 1 tbl. olive oil. Distribute sliced onions on bottom, top with chopped tomato, and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes - onions should be soft.
4. Place fillets on tops of onion/tomatoes and drizzle marinade on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return to oven and bake until fish is flaky, about 30 minutes.
5. Serve with rice or couscous.
6. Note: Cooking time will depend on thickness of fillet. If you use very thin fillets, you may need to remove them earlier and keep them warm, and return the onion/tomato mix to the oven. Total oven time should be about one hour.
Herb Crusted Fish Fillets Ingredients:
750 g fish fillets (blue-eye cod skin on was recommended)
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup rolled oat
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons thyme leaves
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I used wholemeal bread crusts cut off)
1/3 cup plain flour
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
vegetable oil (for cooking)
1. Place pine nuts, oats and herbs in a food processor, process until finely chopped, add breadcrumbs and process to combine.
2. Transfer some of the breadcrumb mixture to a shallow plate.
3. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls.
4. Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
5. Coat fish in flour, dip in egg, then coat in breadcrumb mixture, pressing crumbs on with fingertips to secure (top up breadcrumbs as required).
6. Pour enough oil to cover the base of a large non-stick frying pan, heat over medium heat until hot.
7. Cook fish for about 3 minutes each side (in batches if necessary - don't over crowd frypan) or until golden.
8. Transfer to a wire rack over a baking tray.
9. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
10. Keep checking the fish, cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the fillets.
Sweet Chili Oysters
12 oysters, shucked, with lower half of shell retained
12 tablespoons tasty cheese, grated
12 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
1. Fill each oyster shell with grated cheese.
2. Top each with a teaspoon of sweet chili sauce.
3. Cook on a medium grill until cheese has melted.