Cooking Chicken with Smashed Potatoes, Potpie Style
Chicken with Smashed Potatoes, Potpie Style
11⁄2 pounds baby red potatoes, each cut in half
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 11⁄4 pounds)
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 medium carrots, cut into 2" by 1⁄4" matchstick strips (about 11⁄2 cups)
1 cup chicken broth
1⁄4 cup heavy or whipping cream
1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
1 cup tiny frozen peas, thawed
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1. In 5-quart Dutch oven, combine potatoes and enough water to cover; heat to boiling over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add chicken
and sprinkle with 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper; cook 6 minutes. Turn chicken and reduce heat
to medium; cover and cook until chicken loses its pink color throughout, about 8 minutes longer. Transfer
chicken to plate; keep warm.
3. To same skillet, add carrots, broth, cream, and dried tarragon; cover and cook over medium-high heat
until carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in peas.
4. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Coarsely mash potatoes with butter and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
and 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper.
5. To serve, spoon potatoes onto large platter; top with chicken and spoon vegetable mixture over all.
Makes 4 main-dish servings.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.