1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 pound lean (90%) ground beef
4 ripe jumbo tomatoes (about 14 ounces each)
1⁄2 cup uncooked instant white rice or
3⁄4 cup cooked rice
11⁄4 teaspoons salt
11⁄4 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
1. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, cook onion and ground beef over medium-high heat, breaking up meat
with spoon, until meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cut thin slice from stem end of each tomato; reserve. With spoon, scoop out seeds and
pulp from each; reserve. Transfer tomato shells to microwave-safe plate and cook in microwave oven on
High just until heated through, about 2 minutes.
3. Chop reserved tomato slices and pulp. Stir tomatoes, rice, salt, and pepper into meat mixture. Cover
and cook over medium heat 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, chop mint. Stir into meat mixture.
5. Fill tomato shells with hot meat mixture.
Makes 4 main-dish servings.
Be sure to use the ripest and most flavorful tomatoes you can find for this dish.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.