Vin Baked Ham Ingredients:
1 (8 lb) bone-in ham (I used a shank half)
3 cups Coca-Cola
1 cup marsala wine
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 and use the lowest rack in the oven.
2. Score ham about 1/4" deep and a few inches across in about five or six random places.
3. Place in deep roasting pan and pour coke and wine over ham.
4. Baste every 15 minutes.
v5. Turn ham to a different position every half hour or so.
6. If meat starts to get too brown on top too soon, make a foil tent and cover loosely (I did this for the last hour).
7. After two to three hours, or when meat thermometer inserted in the deepest part (not touching the bone) says 120-130, remove the ham from the oven.
8. Mix sugar and mustard in small bowl and brush generously all over the ham (if needed, make more glaze).
9. Return ham to oven on a higher rack, uncovered, and bake at 450 for 10-20 minutes.
Fantastic Holiday Ham Ingredients:
1 (12 lb) bone-in ham
1/3-1/2 cup whole cloves
1/2 cup brown sugar, plus
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1 (20 ounce) can sweetened pineapple rings (in syrup)
2 (4 ounce) jars maraschino cherries
1 (12 ounce) can 7-Up soda
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Using a sharp knife "score" the rind of the ham with diamond patterns.
3. Place the ham onto a rack in a very large WELL GREASED roasting pan.
4. Insert a meat thermometer into the ham, making certain that the thermometer does NOT touch the bone.
5. Press whole cloves into the center of each diamond.
6. Drain the pineapple juice from the pineapple rings into a bowl, then stir in the brown sugar, mustard powder and 7-Up soda; mix very well to combine.
7. Coat the complete ham with the brown sugar mixture.
8. Place the pineapple rings over the outside of the ham.
9. Place a whole maraschino cherry into the center of each pineapple ring, then attach with a wooden toothpick.
10. Bake uncovered for 4-5 hours, basting frequently with the pan juices or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
11. Remove the ham to a serving platter, then let sit for about 20 minutes.
12. Remove all toothpicks before serving.
13. Slice ham and enjoy!
Note: I make this ham at the holidays and always receive rave reviews, this ham will be the star attraction at you table. Do not use sugar-free 7-up for this, make certain before starting this that you have a large enough roasting pan with a rack that will fit into the pan, a 12-pound ham will take a bit of time to bake so make certain that you have all your other dishes made ahead of time. If you don't want to go the extra step with the pineapple and cherries you may omit and just make the ham using the brown sugar coating .
Balsamic-And Dijon-Glazed Ham With Roasted Pearl Onions Ingredients:
2 lbs white pearl onions
1 cup packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup butter, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 -10 lbs half ham shank, fully cooked,fat trimmed to 1/2 inch thickness
1. Cook onions in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes; drain.
2. Trim root ends, leaving base intact.
4. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Preheat oven to 325.
5. Combine sugar, vinegar, and mustard in bowl for glaze.
6. Transfer onions to 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish.
7. Add 2/3 cup glaze, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup water; toss to coat.
8. Cover with foil.
9. Line large roasting pan with foil.
10. Making 1/2-inch-deep slits, score ham with diamond pattern.
11. Place ham in pan and roast 45 minutes.
12. Place onions in oven.
13. Roast ham and onions 25 minutes.
14. Uncover onions.
15. Continue roasting onions and ham 50 minutes.
16. Baste ham with some of glaze.
17. Continue to roast ham and onions until deep brown and glazed, brushing ham with glaze every 10 minutes, about 30 minutes longer.
18. Transfer ham to large platter.
19. Transfer onion mixture to bowl.
20. Serve ham, passing onion mixture seperately.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.